MrKenDenis

| Make Up | Skin Care | Life is incomplete without contour | Haircare | YouTube |

L'oreal Voluminous and Bourjois Volume Clubbing Mascaras

Hey everyone..
If you you really follow my blog and YouTube channel you will notice that I do videos first before the blog entry. The reason is, I'm lazy!.. LOL.. Just kidding. :) Sorta.. The reason is that I like to watch my videos and see what I've missed so I can put it on the blog entry. Warning I tend to mix my personal stuff here too, skip to the actual review below the Reason part if you are just for the review. :)

But anyway lets get on with the review & comparison.

REASON for choosing these two to compare? Well here in HK, you can't get the voluminous in drug stores. L'oreal just doesn't sell that line here. Which is a totally bummer!.. I had someone buy it for me when he went to the States. The mascara is almost expired I have like a few more weeks to it, I think (not sure). I was looking around the make up corner at watsons and found myself at the bourjois section and saw the Clubbing Mascara. I saw it was in ultra black which is interesting because most if not all mascaras in the drug stores here in HK are in just plain black. If you are a mascara junkie like me then you would know that black mascaras turn gray or bluish after a few hours..


Part one: L'oreal Voluminous
 I've got this product in the carbon black version. I really love the extra black mascaras, they really do give extra drama to the eyes not to mention it does give amazing volume. One coat is enough for me for a daily thing but I hate to brag my lashes are already thick.

According to their website, you get 5x the natural thickness and 2x the intensity of regular black mascaras. It is ophthalmologist tested, allergy tested, suitable for sensitive eyes, contact lens wearers, clump resistance and fragrance-free.

If you ask me it does give the results it promises, though for me I have to put on 2 coats to get the 5x natural thickness thing (again it will depend on your lashes). I love the fact that it is great for the eyes and suitable for contact lens wearer because I always wear contacts (you will rarely see me wearing glasses). The only thing I don't agree with is the clump resistance part, it is a volumising mascara it will! But no as bad as other mascaras.

The brush
So this mascara has the normal/traditional type of brush. Nothing real fancy about the brush but I like the fact that the tip has shorter lashes which is great for the corner lashes. You still get like some excess product on the tip when you take it out of the bottle but I don't really mind that.

The formal, I must say I really like the formula because of the really black pigments in it but it has a very wet formula you have to really wait for like 1-2mins for it to dry to put on the second coat or before you try to comb it. It also smudges after like after the 5th or 6th hour or if it is a really hot day. Such a bummer.



Naked lashes

2 coats of mascara
*Sorry for the different lighting but you can tell the difference it makes.

Summary
I love L'oreal Mascaras! I consider them as the best brand for drug store make up. This mascara in particular, it is super black and gives amazing volume, if you love dramatic eyes I would suggest this. That being said there are a few cons like the formula being too wet and the smudge thing, if you are going out at night and have like smokey eye shadow this would work but for the day like at work I would not suggest you wear it there.

Part 2: Bourjois Voulme Clubbing Mascara


 This has got to be one of my favourite mascaras! From the packing itself it looks like it is meant for having fun or like it is advertised as a clubbing mascara. I love the fact that it is in ultra black and like I said this is the only mascara I've seen so far here in HK that is a darker shade of black.

According to bourjois' website, Its extremely resistant formula is enriched with vinyl for a look that won’t budge all night! 100% tear and sweat proof. Tested and loved by clubbers.


For me, it doesn't budge! Even if you get a little water on your lashes it does not smudge! I have dry eyes so I usually use eye drops to rehydrate them and there is no change in the mascara. I'm not really a clubber but I love it.. LOL. Even though it does not say it is suitable for contact lens wearers I have no issue with it. 


The Brush
 So the brush on this mascara is very interesting, it is actually the first time I've seen a mascara use this kind of a wand. Basically when you look at it there are bristles on both side but the centre part does not have any bristles instead it has a reservoir, this is the part that contains a lot of the product.
I was confused how to use this but luckily someone on YouTube demonstrated how to use it. First you have to trap your lashes with the bristles and then wiggle and pull upward, while pulling the wand upwards twist the wand to get the lashes in contact with the reservoir. I know it sounds complicated but it is really easy just watch the video below on how to apply it. :)

The formula, I really like it really dark. I don't have any issues with it.

Naked lashes

2 coats of the mascara
Summary
I am so happy to find a replacement for the L'oreal Voluminous! This is a really good product I have been using this for a few weeks now and I have no issues with it. Gives me the same drama the Voluminous in Carbon black.





0 Comments

Contact Form (Do not remove it)

back to top