MrKenDenis

| Make Up | Skin Care | Life is incomplete without contour | Haircare | YouTube |

My Journey to Blonde (Part 1)


*Just a heads up, this post is just my story on how I became blonde, if you want a tips post or video on the matter I will have it all linked at the end of the post

If you guys have been following me for a while now, you would have known that I have been dyeing my hair for absolutely ages now. I think I have been experimenting with hair dyes since I was 12 years old. Growing up in Asia, I was surrounded with people with extremely dark hair to dark brown hair. As you can imagine it was quite boring and I wanted to standout and have something different. So naturally I evolved into a blonde.


So let us start from the beginning. My natural hair colour is a dark dark brown colour, almost black. As you would expect most Asians to have. My hair texture closely resembles a caucasian person's hair as my hair texture is quite fine. I know there are technical terms for it in the hair dressing world but I have no idea what they are.





I then experimented with browns. At the time, I thought brown was brown, I didn't know that there were undertones and levels blah blah blah. (I shall explain this in a future post). These browns were barely noticeable so I am not going to even going to post photos. You can only tell that I dyed my hair brown when I stood next to other people with dark hair.


When I graduated from college, that is when I experimented with blonde highlights and really going to a professional to lightening my hair. In this photo, I had my hair done at David's Salon in the Philippines. I showed the stylist a few photos of dirty blonde hair like from Mariah Carey to Chase Crawford. I really wanted to have light hair but this is what I ended up with. It is lighter but it just looks like a reddish brown with slightly lighter pieces. Definitely not something I wanted but I guess it was good that it came out this colour because going from dark to light is a big step and if I did that all in one go I probably would have been so shocked and probably not been able to cope with the change. That and my hair would probably have fallen out from the damage.


The next step was going even lighter. I went to Toni & Guy in Central, Hong Kong. They did a full head bleaching and that didn't turn out that great. I thought being a western salon that they would be more accustomed to doing blonde on darker hair but I was wrong. Their first attempt got me to a proper ginger. I returned the next day and they redid my hair, and this was the result. A light brown or dark dirty blonde in my opinion. Probably a level 6-7 in hair lightness I think.


After probably a month, I returned to Toni & Guy to get my roots redone. The stylist also ran the bleach on the ends and it got me to a lighter blonde. I would say this was the first time I was truely blonde as I didn't have anymore red or orange in my hair. I believe they used a level 7 or 8 ash blonde to tone my hair. I was pretty happy with this but unfortunately I had to dye my hair back dark to get a job. (Yes you have to be boring and have dark hair in Hong Kong to get a job at most places).


So I ended up dyeing my hair a dark chocolate brown, this was just a box dye.  Probably a level 3 but because my hair was previously bleached it came out like this and honestly if I ever go dark again I would probably go this colour.

Obviously there is a part 2 to this post. Just click here :D

0 Comments

Contact Form (Do not remove it)

back to top