MrKenDenis

| Make Up | Skin Care | Life is incomplete without contour | Haircare | YouTube |

Product Review: Victoria's Secret Volume Plump Mascara in Blackest Black

I am back with another product review and it is my favourite mascara of the moment! :D I have used this mascara for roughly a month or so now and I have pretty much used it non stop since buying it in Hong Kong. From memory I got it for HKD 130-150 and for Hong Kong standards that is pretty much the normal price for a drugstore mascara.

PS if you guys want to just a quick version of the review, its good. Also watch the video review which I will post near the bottom of the page, the photos will be there too.

Packaging

The body of the mascara is black and has a satin finish. Doesn't get finger print marks on it easily. Pretty standard packing for a mascara if you ask me. It did not come with a box from memory, I think it was just wrapped in a clear plastic. However, VS in other places might have them packaged differently.


Brush

The brush is one of the most important features of a volumising mascara as it is the thing you use to brush through the formula on your lashes. Fortunately, this brush is huge which is ideal for a volumising formula (but more on that in a minute). This brush is made of the traditional bristles, so basically not synthetic. Due to its large size, I personally feel it gets the job done quicker. The bristles aren't tightly packed together so clumping will not be an issue, it provides a decent amount of separation.

The size may be a good or bad thing, depending on your preference. I personally love it because it gets the job done quicker. 


Formula

The formula is a nice medium consistency, as mascara's go. I personally feel that it is not too dry or too wet, so it does not matter how long your lashes are it will work for you. The colour I picked was blackest black which is ideal for the dramatic volumised look that this mascara is designed to be.

It wears great throughout the day, I did not see any flaking or smudging. This a great quality to me as I have moderately oily lids and some mascaras do tend to smudge. I have also fallen asleep with this mascara on, for a goodnight's sleep (which I highly do not recommend you guys do) and found minimal smudging on my lower lash line. In other words, I did not wake up looking like a racoon.

The formula is easy to remove too. I have used miscellar water, oil based makeup removers, makeup wipes and facial cleanser to remove it and I have not encountered any issues. I do not wakeup the next day to find that I have become a racoon overnight, so that is always a good thing in my opinion :D



Application

The application process is great, it is pretty easy. The brush separates the lashes and puts just the right amount of mascara so there is no clumping no matter how you use the brush. I mean, come on there is only so many creative ways you can apply mascara to your lashes.

So here is a photo of my bare lashes. As you can see I already have naturally curled lashes and they are pretty dark already. My lashes are also pretty long but the tips aren't very visible.


 In the photo below, I have already applied one coat of the mascara and as you can see there is a dramatic difference with my other eye without mascara. My lashes look a lot thicker, defined and lifted.

In the photo below, I have already applied 2 coats of the mascara on both eyes. I did wait roughly a minute in between the application and I did not notice any issues in the application. Usually at this point, some mascara start to clump at the tips when another coat is being applied.

Verdict

This mascara is amazing and it is definitely one of my favourites! :D 

I would rate its application 8/10, the brush is ideal for the application of the product but I do get the occasional smudging on the lids. Do note that I am messy when I apply mascara in general so that is mostly my fault but I would appreciate if someone could invent something that will help newbies and people like me in the application without ruining the eyeshadow. 

I would rate the finish 10/10! If you want an awesome mascara that provides epic volume this is definitely one of the best out there, at a drugstore price!

I would rate the availability 6/10. I got mine in Hong Kong and getting to the VS store there is pretty easy for me but being back in Australia it is hard to find VS. From memory there is a VS store at the Melbourne airport but realistically I do not travel by plane that often so next time I will be there I will have to buy a few at a time. It is that or I will have to order it online from VS themselves but the shipping is expensive as I think it has to come from the USA. At the time of this post it costs USD 20-30 so not worth it if you are just buying the mascara. There is always ebay and other online shops but I try not to buy makeup off them unless they are well known shops like Asos.. 

Anyhow, as you can tell I really like the mascara. I also did a video review of it on the channel so don't forget to check it out, below.


0 Comments

Contact Form (Do not remove it)

back to top